Are you a strong, visionary and ambitious leader that is attracted by an assignment where you will play a key-role in shaping the future in an international organization? We are looking for a COO to run all the studios on behalf of Paradox Interactive.
COO – The Position
As Chief operations officer you are responsible for leading, developing and driving the production part of Paradox; the production part of publishing (producers and product launch) as well as all the paradox-owned studios. The focus is on delivery of products and services to reach Paradox ambitious goals. The supporting tasks include organization/process development as well as staffing, talent management and knowledge sharing in the organization.
As COO you are a part of the Paradox management team and as such takes part in strategic planning, organization governance and project greenlight. Key stakeholders for the COO are our studios, the CEO, other management team members and department heads throughout the organization. You will also at times report to the Board of Directors.
Studio managers for the Paradox owned-studios report to you, as do the VP of Production at publishing. To help on the studio side you have a Studio group operations manager, supporting studio onboarding, development, planning and organization as well as knowledge sharing between studios.
Paradox is a growing global company, currently with offices in Sweden, Netherlands, US West Coast. Travel will be part of the job.
• To be the visionary leader for PDX studio organization
• Ensure delivery of high quality games and products
• Leading and strategically define how studios work and cooperate with each other, as well as other departments. Implement and refine the processes.
• Run the studio organization with six entities in six locations (Stockholm, Malmö, Umeå, Delft (NL), Seattle and San Francisco)
• Run project production for first- and third-party studios.
• Recruit, develop and retain key leadership talent at studios and publishing production
• Ensure timely delivery of high-quality products and services
• Work with others in the Paradox management team to develop and implement strategy and drive organizational chang
• Take part in project greenlight and M&A due diligence from a production standpoint. Integrate acquired studios in relevant manner
• Support the company’s strategic direction, development and future growth.
• Provide leadership in a fashion that supports the company’s culture, mission and values.
Core Knowledge and Skills
• Successful leader and manager with at least 10 years’ experience in related fields and to lead multi layered teams.
• Proven track record of building, developing and inspiring high-performance teams in a fast-growing, digital-first industry
• Previous experience from leading medium to large organizations preferably in the gaming industry.
• Ability to actively communicate, inspire and motivate all levels of staff.
• Ability to think and act strategically and proactively.
• Experience of working in a global environment
• Excellent stakeholder management skills across all levels of the organization
• Excellent communication and presentation skills
As a person you are curious and openminded. You have a strong inner drive and you “get the shit done”.
You have a strong interest in gaming, and you follow area related to the field. You are a passionate profile and you have the ability to energize yourself and your team.
CEO Ebba Ljungerud
Size of department
300 FTE, 8 direct reports
This position is based in Stockholm, Sweden
Bachelor's degree or higher in relevant field
Fluent in English, spoken and written
Information and application
Paradox Interactive is cooperating with Wes in this recruitment. For more information regarding the position please contact Senior Consultant Per Fornander at +46 703 16 77 65, email@example.com or Research Manager Åsa Molin at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Paradox Interactive group includes publishing, development of games and licensing of our brands. The publishing operation publishes both internally developed titles and titles developed by independent studios as well as music and books.
The game portfolio includes more than 100 titles and Paradox Interactive owns the most important brands, including Stellaris, Europa Universalis, Hearts of Iron, Crusader Kings, Cities, Skylines, Magicka and Age of Wonders. From the start over fifteen years ago, the company has published its games all over the world, initially through physical distribution using partners, but beginning in 2006 has primarily distributed digitally using its own publishing arm. The development platform has historically mainly been PC, but console is growing, and mobile platforms are also increasingly interesting.
The largest markets today include the US, UK, China, Germany, France, Russia and Scandinavia. Today, over 3,5 million gamers play a Paradox game each month and the number of Paradox registered users exceeds 10 million.
Paradox Interactive – Studios
The company’s internal development studios are
• Paradox Development Studio, located in Stockholm (154 FTE´s)
• Paradox, located in Malmö (8 FTE´s)
• Paradox Arctic, located in Umeå (28 FTE´s)
• Triumph Studios, located in Delft, the Netherlands (30 FTE´s)
• Harebrained Schemes in Seattle (65 FTE´s)
• Paradox Tectonic in Berkely, California (5 FTE´s)
Paradox Development Studio is behind successful franchises like Europa Universalis, Crusader Kings, Hearts of Iron and Stellaris. The studio has been referred to as the masters of Grand Strategy and specializes in deep strategy games. Paradox Arctic’s latest releases was Magicka 2 and the team has extensive experience of developing games for video game consoles like the Xbox and PS4. Triumph Studios was acquired in July 2017 and are the creators of the Age of Wonders and Overlord-series. The latest game Planetfall was released on 6th of August to critical and gamer acclaim. Founded in 1997, the studio is known as one of the top-tier strategy game developers worldwide. Harebrained Schemes was acquired in 2018 and work primarily on the well-known IP Battletec. The latest addition to the studio family, Tectonic, opened in the Bay area in February 2019.
Paradox Interactive – Publishing
The publishing arm handles both internally (Paradox Studios) and externally developed titles and works to develop and grow Paradox brands across different platforms and activities. The publisher’s primary functions are to produce, market, sell and finance the games. The interaction with the gamers takes place in all areas of the company, where the publisher has the primary responsibility for customer contact and growth.