Are you a driven, visionary and ambitious CTO that is attracted by an assignment where you will play a key-role in shaping the future in an international organization? We are looking for a CTO on behalf of Paradox Interactive.
PARADOX INTERACTIVE - PUBLISHING
The publishing arm handles both internally (Paradox Studios) and externally developed titles and works to develop and grow Paradox brands across different platforms and activities. The publisher’s primary functions are to produce, market, sell and finance the games. The interaction with the gamers takes place in all areas of the company, where the publisher has the primary responsibility for customer contact and growth.
PARADOX INTERACTIVE - STUDIOS
Paradox Development Studio, located in Stockholm; Paradox Arctic, located in Umeå; Triumph Studios, located in Delft, the Netherlands; Harebrained Schemes in Seattle and Paradox Tectonic in Berkely, California are the companys' internal development studios. Paradox Development Studio is behind successful franchises such as Europa Universalis, Crusader Kings, Hearts of Iron and Stellaris. The studio has been referred to as the masters of Grand Strategy and specializes in deep strategy games. Paradox Arctic’s latest release was Magicka 2 and the team has extensive experience developing games for video game consoles such as Xbox and PS4. Triumph Studios was acquired in July 2017 and are the creators of the critically-acclaimed Age of Wonders and Overlord-series. Founded in 1997, the studio is known as one of the top tier strategy game developers worldwide. Harebrained Schemes was acquired in 2018 and works primarily on the well known IP Battletec. The latest addition to the studio family, Tectonic, opened in he Bay area in February 2019.
As part of the Paradox group management team you drive the technology strategy and roadmap, aligning the different technology functions in the company and their roadmaps. Your key stakeholders are our studios - both first and third party, as well as our marketing and sales departments.
The technical platforms are the enablers for the development and you will own the strategy for keeping the company on the technology curve, as well as being able, not merely to adapt to disruptions but also to anticipate them and turn them to the organization’s strategic and operational advantage.
• Establish the company’s technical vision and be an ambassador for all aspects of the company's technological development.
• Support the company’s strategic direction, development and future growth.
• Work in a consultative fashion with other department heads, such as marketing, production, studio tech leads and operations, as an advisor of technologies that may improve their efficiency and effectiveness.
• Deliver priorities and requests to marketing and studios, to ensure developed products have clear ownership in either games or marketing.
• Provide leadership to department heads in a fashion that supports the company’s culture, mission and values.
• Support research and studies on emerging technologies to make decisions on the probability of implementation.
• Manage central technology budgets.
• Build a network with tech heads in studios to ensure knowledge sharing and decision alignment throughout the organization.
CORE KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
• Successful leader and manager with at least 10 years’ experience in related fields.
• Proven track record of building, developing and inspiring high-performance teams in a fast growing, digital first industry.
• Previous experience from leading medium to large technology organizations.
• Great understanding of the different game engines, online solutions used for 24/7 uptime online applications (we’re all about the players).
• Ability to actively communicate, inspire and motivate all levels of staff.
• Ability to think and act strategically and proactively.
• Exposure to working in a global environment.
• Excellent stakeholder management skills within IT, Studios and business across all levels of the organization.
• Excellent communication and presentation skills.
You are curious and openminded, have a strong inner drive and you “get shit done”.
You have a strong interest in gaming, and you follow the development in the technical arena related to the field. You are a passionate tech profile and have the ability to energize yourself and your team.
Master’s degree in engineering, preferably in Computer Science or related field.
Fluent in English and ideally one more language.
INFORMATION AND APPLICATION
Paradox Interactive is cooperating with Wes in this recruitment. For more information regarding the position please contact Senior Consultant Per Fornander at +46 703 16 77 65, firstname.lastname@example.org or Research Manager Åsa Molin at email@example.com.
The Paradox Interactive group includes publishing, development of games and licensing of our brands. The publishing operation publishes both internally developed titles and titles developed by independent studios as well as music and books.
The game portfolio includes more than 100 titles and Paradox Interactive owns the most important brands, including Stellaris, Europa Universalis, Hearts of Iron, Crusader Kings, Cities, Skylines, Magicka and Age of Wonders. From the start over fifteen years ago, the company has published its games all over the world, initially through physical distribution using partners, but beginning in 2006 has primarily distributed digitally using its own publishing arm. The development platform has historically mainly been PC but console is growing and mobile platforms are also increasingly interesting.
The largest markets today include the US, UK, China, Germany, France, Russia and Scandinavia. Today, over 3 million gamers play a Paradox game each month and the number of Paradox registered users exceeds nine million.
With strong foothold throughout the value chain and a large and engaged community, Paradox Interactive is well positioned to work with the best developers and distributors worldwide. Paradox sales consist primarily of digital distribution for the relevant platforms.