COO to Ignitia
Are you a business driven and experienced natural leader with the ability to lead and develop the operational day-to-day work in a high tech business environment? We are now looking for a COO who has the ability to take Ignitia, a successful social tech business, to the next level.
About the position
As part of the continued expansion of the company, Ignitia needs to recruit an experienced and business-driven leader who can help drive the day-to-day operation at Ignitia’s regional office in Ghana. The focus of the COO is to contribute to the company’s growth and expansion by working in partnership with the executive team, and transforming strategies into processes and actions within the organisation. The COO will also be instrumental to develop measurable goals, build appropriate structures and routines within all areas of the operational day-to-day work, especially within account management and marketing.
Ignitia is therefore looking for a highly business oriented and experienced COO who has the ability to manage and develop the organisation and its operational efficiencies. The right candidate is a highly motivated and energetic profile with excellent management skills and high level of commercial acumen. As the COO you will be expected to have the ability to win trust, confidence and build relationships within Ignitia, as well as to customers and partners. The right candidate will also have a demonstrated track record of establishing processes and systems with attention to quality – as we are a relatively small team serving thousands and thousands of users, we need to ensure things are done right the first time!
The COO is responsible for managing a team of 14 persons, including relationship building, administration, research and development and project management. The position reports to the founder Liisa Petrykowska and is part of the Management Team.
Main areas of responsibility
The responsibilities include but are not limited to
• Working in partnership with the founders and executive team members within Ignitia and support the strategic plan by implementing new processes, activities and approaches in the organisation.
• Serve as the internal leader of the organization and have a day-to-day leadership presence, support and coach the team.
• Lead and develop the performance management process that measures and evaluates progress against goals for the organization.
• Support and execute growth opportunities and priorities
• Lead employees to encourage maximum performance and dedication.
The ideal candidate should meet the following criteria:
• At least 5-10 years of relevant experience, preferably from a fast paced entrepreneurial environment.
• Proven experience as COO or other relevant leadership role, preferably from a high growth company
• Demonstrated track record of establishing processes and systems with attention to quality.
• Understanding of broad business functions such as HR, sales, marketing, administration etc.
• Outstanding organizational and leadership abilities
• Excellent interpersonal and public speaking skills
• A strong problem-solving mind-set
• Fluent in English, verbal and writing. French verbal skills are a plus but not required.
• Minimum BSc/BA in Business Administration or relevant field
• Highly motivated to work in an cross-cultural, international/multinational organisation (with operations across the globe)
• Ability to see what initiatives to take, according to company priorities
• Capable of integrating well and having influence in a highly entrepreneurial and business driven environment
• Strong team leadership and managerial skills
• Structured and highly organised
The work environment within Ignitia is fast paced entrepreneurial, challenging and results-driven but at the same time highly professional and value-driven; therefore strong interpersonal and team management skill are critical to be able to succeed in this position.
In this position you will have the opportunity to collaborate with a network of strong leaders, mentors and advisors from various distinguished contexts and all of which are world leaders in their areas of expertise which will be a great platform for your own development as an international business leader.
For more information about Ignitia, please visit http://www.ignitia.se
For more information about this position, please contact recruitment consultant Nusin Cilgin; email@example.com or 0046709816744
Start as soon as possible
The role is located in Accra, Ghana
Please email your CV and a personal letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “COO- Ignitia” Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
Selection of awards
• Google X selected Ignitia as a Moonshot in 2015. The program Solve for X selects moonshots within and outside of Google based on “unique and innovative use of technology to solve a complex, global problem.” More well known moonshots are for example the self driving car and project Loon.
• Won the Top 20 Innovations by CTA in 2015. The award is given to innovations that are the most effective at helping smallholder farmers and aiding in agricultural, productivity support and supply chain systems
• Won the Innovation Award at the world fair EXPO 2015, hosted by the American Pavilion and delivered by Letizia Moratti, the driving force behind the EXPO 2015 in Milan
• Unilever Sustainable Living Young Entrepreneur Awards 2015/16. For solutions that demonstrate the potential for huge social and environmental impact achievable at a global scale. Selected as one of seven finalists that received a financial and in-kind award.
• Won the Innovation of the Year in 2013 by Innovations Against Poverty, a global program for organisations operating in emerging markets that demonstrate particular innovation and potential for success.
Ignitia is a high-technology company and social enterprise that has recently developed the world’s first highly accurate tropical weather forecast model. We serve small-scale farmers in West Africa by sending a daily forecast via SMS, provided in partnership with major telecommunication firms and agricultural B2B organisations.
We started in 2010 as a new research team in physics & meteorology, gathered from different renowned universities and research institutions such as NASA. We set out to tackle the difficult problem of accurately predicting weather in the tropics. It wasn’t easy.
After years of painstaking efforts in developing the algorithms and model, we finally had something we wanted to test in the field. Our first trial in 2013 offered 3,400 small-scale farmers in Ghana seasonal, monthly and daily weather forecasts. A mere eight farmers opted out of the service during the season and our accuracy rate was measured at 82%, as compared to the current standard of 39%.
We made it – a reliable tropical weather forecast was born!
For the first time, rural small-scale farmers in West Africa are the first clients of a major technology innovation. We like that … and we’re just getting started!